What is the value of liberty to you? Is it worth the price of a government check?

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Florida Debate

The early assessment as I survey the field briefly is that Romney did the best in the debate in Boca Raton, Florida last night. That's my sense as well.

Romney was sharp, on point, effective in answering all the questions. He was asked (yet again; is this really necessary?) about his being Mormon and about his contributing his own money to his campaign. I thought he did well with both questions, though I'm sure the "eye of the beholder" would apply to these questions and answers. More than anything, his economic understanding and effective leadership were evident throughout the debate.

I thought Giuliani was next best, and had a great response to the New York Times ripping on him (I think it can only help a Republican when the NYT criticizes them, just as it can only hurt McCain that the Times endorsed him).

After that, Huckabee did alright though again I think he relies on humor rather than detailed and effective responses, which weakens him. Ron Paul was, well, Ron Paul. 'Nuff said.

McCain had a few good moments, but more bad ones, I thought. In particular there were several points where I thought he seemed a little old and detached, like when he seemed to insinuate that he didn't need to be an economic expert when he has so many friends are. Certainly presidents depend on advisers, but you like to have a sense that the President at least has enough understanding and sense to ask the right questions and be in charge. In any case, he wasn't bad, just left a few doubts in my mind as I watched him. In addition, he really does seem to relish putting down Republicans and patting "my favorite Democrats" on the back, which doesn't seem smart if you are trying to get the Republican nomination for the presidency, ya know?

It gives me some cautious optimism about Tuesday, but no doubt it'll take every contributing effort for this to come out in Mitt's favor. Just 4 days to go!

P.S. Here's a link to another review of the candidates' performances.

And MSNBC's post-debate analysis:

No comments: