What is the value of liberty to you? Is it worth the price of a government check?

Friday, January 11, 2008

SC Debate Response

A few brief responses I have to the Republican candidate debate in South Carolina tonight.

(1) Romney was solid with very good answers; he never skipped a beat. It wasn’t a night full of zingers for him, but he continues to impress me as the best overall candidate for the Republicans, including having the most solid issue positions.

(2) I love Fred Thompson. I haven’t said that much, largely because I have thought, and I still think, that he’s just not been able to gain the kind of support needed to win the nomination. But he was awesome tonight. He laid into Huckabee a couple of times, and to a lesser degree McCain, and they were real power punches.

(3) McCain was strong and had solid and knowledgeable answers. He does have that tendency to be somewhat irritable and peevish at times, but that wasn’t overbearing tonight. I like him, and he’s no doubt a strong candidate, but in my reading I think there are some groups of Republicans who are really bothered by some of his past and current positions and as a result I don’t know if he can fully unite the party in the way needed to beat the Democrat in November.

(4) Giuliani was also good. No real negatives in this debate. I just think that the social conservatives in the party have real problems with him, and again I’m not sure of his ability to unite the party.

(5) Huckabee just gives me the impression of not being ready for prime time. He seems out of his league at times…he all too often gives general answers that don’t give the impression of deep understanding. Nice enough demeanor, but I just don’t think he has that aura of credibility and authority that someone who would be president needs. And this is leaving aside the fact that he would deeply divide Republican voters.

(6) Ron Paul was awful. He sounded whiny and lecturing and theoretical rather than real. Huckabee I think at least contributes some nice things to the debate. Paul I didn’t feel contributed anything helpful, and as I say had an annoying manner. In any case, he’s the weakest of the remaining candidates (i.e. those still in these debates).

These debates are good at fleshing out their positions, and they give us helpful impressions of each candidate personally. But they don’t win an election. Mitt Romney will win Michigan because of the support of his supporters. It will be the phone calls on his behalf, the e-mails on his behalf, the discussions, and the donations. It will be his supporters engaging members of the media with e-mails, and engaging other voters on message boards and chat rooms. And when we support him, our being somewhat knowledgeable about his strengths and positions lends credibility to it. If we can convey Mitt’s optimism, intelligence, and strength of leadership, we help him. If we can convey his real passion for working on behalf of all Americans, and convey his deep belief in the importance of families as the foundation of society which anchors his policy issues on health care reform and education reform among other issues…we help him. Every little bit helps. There are 4 days to go then the Michigan primary vote will be a big day. Let’s do what we can!

1 comment:

justkidding said...

Regarding McCain, his very nature is to be irritable and peevish. I worked on Capitol Hill in Washington for a while, and he had a real "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude. I don't trust foreign affairs to someone who has that temperment. Yes, he has the knowledge of foreign affairs, but does he have the needed temperment? Nope.

More than that, he rails against earmarks, but he engages in other behavior that is just as objectionable. For example, the tremendous expansion of America West Airlines out of Las Vegas is not just good business decisions on their part; it is a result of McCain using legislation and pressure on agencies to get them special favors.

My big problem with McCain, though, is his continued support for his campaign finance bill. It is likely one of the worst abrogations of constitutionally protected rights in the history of this country, and that is saying something. Political speech was what the Founders were thinking of when they wrote the First Amendment, and McCain apparently doesn't care that he is almost singlehandedly responsible for 'relieving' me of that liberty. How can I trust him to appoint judges who will care what the Constitution says if he obviously doesn't, either?