What is the value of liberty to you? Is it worth the price of a government check?

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Clarification: Evangelical Voters

I should clarify something. A longtime friend told me that she thinks the way I’ve stated my concerns about Huckabee make it sound like I’m being negative toward evangelicals generally. If that's the case, let me clarify. That is certainly not my feeling. To the contrary, I think evangelicals and Mormons ought to heartily appreciate each other. In such a heavily secular and morally relativistic society as ours has become, I’m grateful for evangelicals and those of other religions who are so committed to traditional values and family as well as committed to Christ and His Gospel. I have many friends, including from my residency days in Alabama, who are Baptist and I think very, very highly of them. So please don’t take my comments that way. My point is specifically that if we vote for or against somebody just because of what church they belong to, it is not a good thing. One reason it’s not good is that it divides people, and in a practical sense in our nation today, nobody can win an election without the support of people of many faiths. As Mitt Romney said in his speech “Faith in America”: “No candidate should become the spokesman for his faith. For if he becomes President he will need the prayers of the people of all faiths.”

No comments: