What is the value of liberty to you? Is it worth the price of a government check?

Monday, October 6, 2008

Never Fear - At Least Not Too Much!

For those of you who, like me, feel great concern about Obama's liberalism and the possibility (probability?) that he may win, I have a couple of thoughts.


First is that we remember than we have been through phases with liberal presidents before (it would be hard to imagine us being in any worse spot than under LBJ or Jimmy Carter), and we can make it again.  Yes, it's possible, like under LBJ, that liberal programs could be passed that seem impossible to kill moving forward, and that is one of my greatest fears.

But, there are lots of ways for us to work against liberal proposals even if Obama wins.  Step one is to work now and going forward on getting more conservatives elected to help block these.  Another is to stay active and involved...don't give in no matter what happens in November.  

Also, even though this financial crisis is no fun, it could prove a blessing in disguise.  It will be difficult, if not impossible for the kinds of massive tax increases and spending increases Obama proposes to occur if the economy is struggling and the national debt is rising dramatically.  

All this said, I'm most certainly not willing to "throw in the towel" before Election Day.  As Churchill said: "Never, never, never give up!"  I've said before and I'll say again that this is not my favorite election in terms of the choice between the two major candidates, but between the two, I'll choose the more conservative one.  And if I don't love McCain, I do like him, and that's something.  The distance between he and Obama in the polls is still quite small--there's no question that McCain can still win--but it will be a battle day by day.  

And if Obama does win, I'll enjoy the historic aspect in any case, but then go to work against his liberal policy proposals.  

No comments: