What is the value of liberty to you? Is it worth the price of a government check?

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hatred in American Politics

As much as we debate our positions and values in these political campaigns, it seems bizarre to me when real hatred enters into it.  It's scary to see.  This post also suggests that the liberal left sees this election as a "revolution" in a real sense.  I don't know.  Jay N. certainly is more connected politically than I'll ever be, so maybe he sees things I don't.  I hope he's wrong regardless of the outcome of the election.  


Also, speaking of an imbalanced and unkind approach to politics, perhaps you've heard something about the spot-on letter sent to the New York Times from Cindy McCain's lawyer after they spent investigative resources trying chasing after information about Cindy having used drugs in high school.  Here's a bit from the letter that makes some excellent points: 

"It is worth noting that you have not employed your investigative assets looking into Michelle Obama. You have not tried to find Barack Obama’s drug dealer that he wrote about in his book, Dreams of My Father. Nor have you interviewed his poor relatives in Kenya and determined why Barack Obama has not rescued them. Thus, there is a terrific lack of balance here.

I suggest to you that none of these subjects on either side are worthy of the energy and resources of The New York Times. They are cruel hit pieces designed to injure people that only the worst rag would investigate and publish. I know you and your colleagues are always preaching about raising the level of civil discourse in our political campaigns. I think taking some your own medicine is in order here."

No comments: